The use of robots in the classroom is becoming widespread but opposite to popular beliefs they are being used as teaching aids and replacing human teacher. Can robots replace human teachers? Robotic manufactures say that we are wrong to perceive the relationship between teachers and robot as symbolic.
Instead we should look at the possibilities they can achieve working side by side. Working of humans alongside robots has been proven to work by the development of collaborative robots. Click on universal-robots.com to find out more on the different collaborative robots available and their application.
The human s can take up roles of providing motivation and giving the students inspiration while robots handle task such as giving individualized lessons to every student. They can also take up the repetitive task of marking student tests. Sharing the tasks will ease the work burden imposed on teachers ensuring effectiveness. They will have more time to go through the students work and monitor the progress.
What is the difference between a human and a robotic teacher?
- Human teachers have the ability to change the teaching environment to suite the student but a robot teacher will only do what it is programmed to do with no regard for the student.
- Human teachers have unlimited opportunities to learn new things and get new experiences which they can then share and teach their students. Robots on the other hand have no ability to do so.
- The capacity of a human brain to store knowledge is not limited but that of a robot is limited to the amount of data it can store in it memory.
Taking care of students with special needs
Socially advanced robots are being developed to help children with special needs especially those suffering from autism. The robots help the children to how act in social situations and boost their self-motivation. They also help tune the emotions of those kids. Some of the benefits of using these robots to help children with special needs include; minimization of confrontations between students, participating students show of self-regulation and academic gains were made by the students.
Advantages of Robot Teachers
- The robot teachers can be used to guide students in the absence of the teachers. They can display a video of the teacher allowing the teachers flexibility to teach from anywhere.
- Social interaction is crucial to students in kindergarten and robotic teacher assistants can offer this to them.in the absence of their working parents, studying a new language will also become easier when aided by a robot.
- Use of robot increases the quality of education being offered to students.as the human teacher gives instructions, the assistant teacher can use visualization tools to emphasize the contents. This leads to better understanding by the students.
Disadvantages of robot teachers
- Accusations to the robot require initial capital which some schools can’t raise. Running of the robot teachers also requires electricity which increases the overhead.
- Robot teachers have no capacity to offer emotional support to students.
- Adoption of robotic teachers requires installation of new infrastructure to support them such as internet.
Why do some people prefer robotic teachers over human teachers
Some people have given a strong opinion supporting the use of robotic teachers over the human teachers. Some of the attributes that makes the robots stand out include;
- Consistency– it enables students especially those in lower classes to familiarize with a certain concept faster.
- No emotions- robots lack emotions and therefore they do not get offended easily. Students can be annoying at times and this attribute comes in handy at such times.
- Quick answers– robots have a quick access to their vast knowledge which enables it to provide correct and prompt answers to any questions that the students may have. Human teachers would have taken a lot of time to research the question and come up with an answer that can be comprehended by students at that level.